Thursday 24 November 2011

Chinese Dragon Oil Pastel Drawings

By Kaya (Yr 3 student)
Lesson Background:
Our students are currently engaged in a unit of work entitled "Snapshots of Asia".  As part of the unit, our students are reading a class novel-  "Dragonkeeper" by Carole Wilkinson. I based this dragon artwork on one I saw on the art blog "The Art Fairy": http://msjuliesartschool.blogspot.com/2010/01/chinese-dragon-in-oil-pastel-on-18-x-24.html

The Lesson:
1.  I used a printed copy of the step-by-step drawing activity from The Art Fairy blog to show the students how to draw a dragon.  I demonstrated each step and how to add my own personal touches.  I also demonstrated how they could use different coloured oil pastels to show light, shade, patterns and interesting tones.
2.  The students went back to their desks and, using the step-by-step guide, they drew their own dragon and coloured them with oil pastel.  Most students attempted to include patterns and light/shade.
3.  The students then painted a red or yellow ink wash over their drawing and left it to dry.

Year 3 Sample Artworks:


By Charlotte


By Kundai

My sample that I modelled for the class


By Arpita


By Parth


By Tom


By Aimee


By Dharan


3B dragon artworks


No comments:

Post a Comment