To celebrate spring and our city's flower festival, Floriade, my Year 5 students created these beautiful artworks based on gorgeous original artwork by artist Mariska Meijers: http://www.residence.nl/interieur/decoration-en-design/38026-mariska-meijers-met-kleur-de-wereld-veroveren/
Lesson Materials (per student)
1 sheet A4 watercolour paper
1 lead pencil
1 black sharpie/permanent marker
1. Draw a vase (I showed students a few styles and how to draw them. Students were encouraged to all draw and position them differently).
2. Draw a pattern on the vase and on the background wallpaper. If one of the patterns is quite busy, make the other more simple.
3. Draw the branches and magnolia flowers (I demonstrated on the board, focusing on having natural curves and bumps on the branches, not straight matchstick-style ones!). Students use an eraser to rub out any lines from the background that run through their flowers.
4. Use the watercolour paints to paint their picture.
5. When dry, outline everything with the black sharpie.
Grade 5 Student Artworks:
|My (very rushed!) sample artwork to give the students ideas|