Wednesday 4 August 2021

Character Strengths Watercolour Paintings - Grade 1


By Margot 

Lesson Background:

Our school staff have undertaken professional development in Positive Education and the VIA Character strengths.  I was instantly intrigued and went and bought a copy of Dr Lea Waters book "The Strength Switch" which I found very enlightening.  I now refer to character strengths on an almost daily basis in my classroom, such as when analysing the actions and personalities of characters in books, describing characteristics needed to complete certain tasks and also when referring to students' own character strengths in order to show them how they can use their strengths to solve a problem.  I created my own version of a character strengths survey/quiz for my class using Grade 1-friendly language, and then the children all tried to determine their own set of strengths.  Afterwards, we created these artworks.  


Lesson Materials: (per student)

Character strengths quiz/survey (I created my own but if you had older students you could use the VIA character strengths youth surveys online)

1 sheet A4 white art paper

watercolour paints and brushes

water pot

black permanent marker/sharpie

a copy of character strength labels in interesting fonts (I created my own)


Lesson Steps:

1. Complete a survey to identify your top character strengths.

2.  Use black sharpie to trace the character strength words from a template.  (We leant against our classroom windows to make tracing easier.)

3.  Use the sharpie to draw borders, pictures and/or decorative items.

4.  Paint with watercolours.

5.  Re-outline any sections that were made unclear with the paint.


Grade 1 Artworks...

By Aditri

By Augie

By George

By Louie

By Isabel

By Max

By Neve

By Olive

By Surafel


By Eliana


No comments:

Post a Comment