We've been reading the novel, Nim's Island by Wendy Orr, and are absolutely loving it! We've made these beautiful paintings to depict Nim's secluded island home.
Lesson Materials (per student):
1 sheet A4 white art/watercolour paper
Brush- 1 thin, 1 medium
1. Draw the horizon line, palm trees, and any water or mountains desired.
2. Wash the sky with a thin layer of water. Do not let it be dripping wet.
3. Wash yellow across the sky.
4. Wash streaks of red, pink, orange, and/or purple into the yellow, trying to let them bleed a little, rather than just look like perfect straight lines. If you have drawn in mountains or water, paint these in colour too (dark blues and purples for mountains look great, and copy the sky colours for any water).
5. Paint the ground black.
6. Use the thin brush to paint the palm tree black.
Grade 2 Student Artworks: